Monday, January 4, 2010

And so begins the journey…

After a sleepless night in Beirut, a crowded airport, an exorbitant fine for extra luggage, 4 and a half annoying Airbus A330 seat rendered even more uncomfortable by turbulence, a crazy taxi driver, 3 hours of unpacking, and a well deserved 10 hours of sleep, my journey begins… :)

By the time I post this from campus, I would have spent another internet-less day in my apartment. It will take another couple of weeks before I can set this up, as for virtually any subscription services in France, an RIB (a bank account number) is needed. So if you are reading this before coming here, try to set up your bank account remotely to avoid the hassle of waiting. Some banks close on Mondays, so my Saturday mid-day arrival wasn’t exactly perfect timing for opening a bank account, setting up ADSL, TV, fixed line, and mobile service.
Thankfully though, the close-by Fromagerie does not close early on Saturdays, and a healthy appetite, and a gastronomically inquisitive nature helped fill my fridge (and stomach) with cheese for the past day and a half… It is actually all I have been eating since I arrived! Franprix, a supermarket on the way from my place to the town centre was also very convenient stop to shop for toiletteries, cereal, milk…etc

The Business Foundations Program (BFP) is just around the corner, and my not-so-stellar time-management skills will be put to the test soon. Monday the 4th of January is pretty chilled out: An Excel skills mini-course followed by an introductory reception and dinner. The three subjects covered by the BFP are Finance, Quantitative Methods, and Financial Accounting, and are sure to keep us busy over the next week… I am looking forward to the classes, and they will get me back into the groove of studying, problem-solving, and group work before the official kick-off of the MBA program on January 11.

As expected, it is COLD here… -5 °C in the mornings, crawling slowly up to about 3°C at mid-day, only to drop back again by sunset. That thermal underwear saved my ass… Literally! (thanks mom… hehehe)

MooN

4 comments:

  1. Hyaty Iam so glad you had a good night sleep,as for food I am not worried I know you can manage.As you know Noor left to London and the house is empty now.I miss you and Noor but this is life God be with you hayaty.ps.pls buy more thermal undrewear ...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. khaltooo ur so cute commenting, i can imagine u sitting on the long couch with ur glassses on, hair tied to the back and with ur cute laptop and robe.
    moon, best of luck cuz i hope i can come visit u, u make this trip very interesting through this blog, luve it, im sure ull do more than fine, although b4 i pass by i need to see the little sis first. stay as long as u can take care muahh.
    PS: i dont even wana think of that underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made it yaaaayyy finally it worked :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thermal underwear hehehe.... Im so excited for you MoON! what an experience! We miss you here! Enjoy it to the max... keep us posted. Bisous

    ReplyDelete